Wednesday, October 30, 2013

BOOKS

I love a GOOD book.   I did not read for many years, then someone handed me a really big book on my way out of church one time and said, "You need to read this".   I took it to get her off my back and much to my surprise it was a REALLY GOOD book.   I finished reading it that Tuesday morning about 5 a.m.

For several years I read only books that were true.   Then one time a friend told me if I would read fiction I could go anywhere.   So I read fiction and still do.  I love a good mystery if it doesn't get too gory.     But have to admit my favorite books are ones that are based on truth anyway.  

I have read a few books that stand out in my memory.   Some of Will Campbell books are excellent.  One book about a battle in the Civil War is a book I keep in my library - small as it is.   I have a couple of books written by a lady I saw at the Southern Writers conference.  She writes books based on truth and one of hers is another book that will always be in my library.  It's a true story about a woman that butchered her husband.

We have a used book store here where we live and they carry a lot of what I call  junk books .  We are members there though and now and then you can get a good book for hardly anything.   I am reading just such a book now.

It's written by a southern writer but it's about a year they spent in Alaska.  I can hardly ever put it down and yet  hate for it to end.   I just want to keep reading about living in Alaska. 

Ted and I drove there one time and it was one of our best trips ever.  We drove the Alcan Highway and I wouldn't give that memory up for  anything.   Kim and I spent two weeks there 5 years later and saw different things altogether.   She and I saw the Northern Lights, a big moose right in front of us on the road, a glacier that was calving, a pod of Orca and had a trip that lives forever in her mother's heart.   I wish I could take a trip like that with all my children.

I'm hoping when I get to the end of this book I find another just as exciting and wonderful





1 comment: