Friday, February 18, 2011

BIRDS

I love watching birds in our back yard.    I didn't used to be that way.   One time we had just planted our very first garden in Illinois and Ted's sister, Barb, came to visit.   I couldn't wait to have her see what we had done.

She noticed a Blue Bird out there and that was all she saw.   I was so disgusted with her.   Imgaine that, thinking a Blue Bird was more important than my garden!!!

Then we moved to the lake and one afternoon Shelby saw 23 different kinds of birds in our yard.   We started feeding the birds and I was hooked.

We even fixed special suet in the winter when we lived at the lake.  I'd mix oatmeal, peanuts, peanut butter, fat from a meat market, anything they liked.   We had all kinds of wood peckers there and it was great.    I don't go into all of that now but we do feed the birds and have had a lot of Cardinals this year.

Now we have been having a lot of Robins.   I never noticed the Robins before but right now we probably have a dozen or so in and out of the yard.    They prefer to eat off the ground so I usually toss some food on the ground for them.

I saw on FaceBook the other day about the migration of the Hummingbirds.  Now these are about my favorite.    I put that map on my Favorites and see they are already in Georgia.   I usually don't put my Hummingbird feeders up till April but I may just try to catch early migrators this year.   

I just hope they don't get their tail feathers frosted.

1 comment:

  1. I just saw a bunch of blue birds...jays? (heads like jays!) in my back yard yesterday. Is that possible and likely?

    ReplyDelete