Thursday, February 17, 2011

FRANKLIN, TENNESSEE

Franklin Tennessee has listed that the average income per household is somewhere around $73,000 per year.   I know a lot of people that live there and would guess this is pretty accurate.     I go to church with a lot of them and sometimes I will pick up on something someone says without being boastful that their income is a LOT more than ours.

However, most of the people I know from there are very caring, loving people.   One lady I've known for about 20 years.   She and her husband helped build the first stage of this church as Ted and I did.  She is a teacher in the Franklin City School system.

This school system is much poorer than the Williamson County School system.   That is the Brentwood area and also the land south of Franklin known as Leapers Fork.   Leapers Fork area is where Naomi Judd comes from.   Need I say more?    It is beautiful rolling hills and the Natchez Trace flows through it.   I know of two families from my church that live there.   One is the Titans Trainer and the other is a music writer whose wife also teaches in the FCS but I know they live in a double wide trailer and he does an enormous amount of work in Nicaragua.

Back to my reason for writing this blog.    The day we had the Women's Retreat I learned from one of the school teachers that many children in her school do not have blankets to keep warm.   They are mostly latino children and money is tight - especially for these families.   We decided to have a drive for blankets to give to them and I told her I would do the collecting.

I found out she only needed about 10 this year so I may just get fabric and make them like we do at Sager Brown.   I need a job anyway and this would be a good way to spend some free time.

It just seems so wrong to me that these children have to be cold and she told me many of them are not well either.   Their parents are afraid to go to a Dr. because of their status.   I understand a lot of people's viewpoint but this is wrong.    No child should go hungry or cold in the U.S.A.  Or be ill and not get to see a Dr. 

I'll put the soapbox away now for another few days.  

No comments:

Post a Comment