Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Cleaning Up the Sewing Room





When we came home from Louisiana last December I wanted to make some School Bags.  We make them all the time in the Sewing Room and work together.   It's a pleasant way to spend the day, sewing and visiting with people from all over.  I bought fabric and started work.   I worked some of every day for almost 2 weeks.   I can tell you it's a lot more fun working in a sewing room visiting with other women than sitting alone in your own sewing room sewing.   I made 14 bags and had some extra pockets and straps.  I was exhausted and did not want to make anything for awhile.
Then we went to Illinois for a visit last month and decided to stop at the Midwest Distribution Center on our way.   It does many of the same things we do at UMCOR Sager Brown only they receive no money from UMCOR.    This gives them a freedom to experiment and do various other good projects.   One is to make pajama outfits for boys and girls that are in the Children's Hospital.   I couldn't resist bringing a pattern home for a little girls outfit.  This one I'll take back for them to approve or disapprove Friday as we head back to Illinois.    We'll stop and deliver the items here for them to use.

Last but not least is a quilt they make.   It's reversible and made in 7" strips.   You don't have to use their pattern but I like it and wanted to make one.   These colors aren't my favorite but it's what I had here at the time.   These quilts have to be at least 42" X 60"  


Since making this quilt I have gone to a sale and was lucky enough to be able to buy a large amount of fabric for very little money.   It was all new and still had the price tags on.   I ended up with a big plastic tub FULL and estimated I paid about .33 cents a yard.

If my handiwork is approved Friday I'll be sewing a lot when we get home again.  I already have the colors of the next quilt I want to make picked out.

1 comment:

  1. You are and have always been so talented! I think it's fantastic you still use your talents for others!

    ReplyDelete