Sunday, June 26, 2011

SEWING GROUP

I went to a newly formed sewing group at church this afternoon.   I wasn't going to go but really wanted to take a school bag and see if anyone was interested in making them.

We only had 6 people there but that's fine if they are all interested and these women are.   One already makes home made hand quilted quilts for General Hospitals Neo Natal Dept..   They are beautiful and she'd like to be a part of our group but doesn't like to use a machine.  

I also took the quilts I make for Midwest Dist. Center and they all would like to have that pattern too.   I really didn't think they would want to make those as they take a lot of fabric but that didn't seem to bother any of them.    AND...one lady promises to give us "just tons" of fabric so if that really does happen we will have plenty of material to work with.

One girl makes little dresses for the girls in Africa from old pillow cases.   She had a set of pillowcases she had embroidered on several years ago but I'm thinking appliques we can sew on.   I'd like to try one anyway.  

The school bag is what I really wanted them to show an interest in and made one yesterday and took directions and described how to do them.   They all wanted the pattern and one girl kept the bag to use as a pattern.  
For a long time I had wished we had a sewing group at church where we could go and work on projects.   Maybe this is a beginning.   It feels good and that's a good sign.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I'm stopping in because a) you're an exceptional sewer and b) you seem to have a good heart. Right now in Africa girls miss 9 weeks of school a year on the average because of menstruation. They need cloth pads. Here's a list of Web sites that explain how to make them and a list of organizations that donate them. http://tinyurl.com/3tlhdcc
    Thanks! Carrie

    ReplyDelete