Tuesday, March 8, 2011

FAT TUESDAY

Well, last year we were in Baldwin, LA for FAT TUESDAY.   It was great.    We had never been there for Mardi Gras before but HAD gone to a parade a few years ago.   This was different though.  

UMCOR Sager Brown closes for Mardi Gras.  EVERYTHING closes for Mardi Gras.   It's a celebration and if people in Louisiana know how to do ONE thing, it's celebrate.

There were parades everywhere.   Every little town had a parade.   They took high school bands all around and those kids marched in every parade they could.

I had a favorite little "hole in the wall" restaurant I liked to go to in Franklin, LA and suggested to Ted we might go in there for lunch, then stand in front of his restaurant to watch the parade.   BUT...when we got in there they were closed.   It was Mardi Gras.

Later I chided him for being closed and he looked at me like I was from Mars and said, "IT WAS MARDI GRAS"  we don't open on that day.   I had to be impressed that they weren't there to collect the almighty dollar.

I wish there was some kind of celebration around here but of course we are too civilized up here in Tennessee.   Well, not really.   I did see that Belle Meade had a parade but I live 50 miles from there.

Oh well, memories are good.

No comments:

Post a Comment