Monday, November 15, 2010

BIG TRAINING GROUP HERE

Today we have about 85 people coming to take the annual UMCOR Disaster Training.   The staff from the UMCOR office is already here.   I met most of them several years ago in Nashville when I took a one day UMCOR training.

I'll help get these people directed to their rooms when they arrive, have them sign a release form so if they get hurt they won't sue us.   Two years ago one man did fall and had to be taken to the hospital. 

The ones coming to attend are usually ministers or lay leaders from all over the U.S.   It's interesting and they have some WONDERFUL meditations.   I try to go to as many of these as I can.  On Friday, their last day they will have a Communion Service that just blows you away.

Last year one of their speakers was a common man named Sam Dixon.   He was, however, the Executive Director of UMCOR.   He came into our Bible Study class here on Tuesday afternoon and I had no idea who he was.   So...in my usuall carrying on we were talking like old friends.   The next morning he led the meditation and my ears perked up.    He told of being in Africa where a lady was brought to their center on a bicycle in the process of delivering a baby.  I don't think I'll ever forget that story.

In January when the Earthquake hit Haiti he and the coordinator of the VIM (Volunteers In Mission) office were both killed when the roof of the hotel there collapsed on them. 

This is going to be a week of interesting services, a small break for me as I have no one in the Sewing Room.   Ted,however, has to work in the Depot and we are hoping there are few deliveries for him to unload. 

No comments:

Post a Comment