Monday, November 22, 2010

Books

I had no intention of writing a blog this week.   I was just going to be LAZIER than usual and take advantage of not working.   I will do that but wanted to share a couple of things with you.

I read a lot but not at the level some of you do.   I've never read the classics but have a list of authors I WOULD like to read.

The Director here gave me a book the other day to read that is not on my list but probably one of the best books I've ever read.     The title is:  "Same Kind of Different As Me" and  is a true story.   It is very hard to read in some places.   I don't know how it ends and wouldn't tell you if I did know but would recommend you get a copy if you have not already read it.

When I got back into reading after my kids were beginning to grow up I only read true stories for along time.  Then a friend said, "Ellen, you need to read fiction too.   You can go ANYWHERE with fiction".  
I still prefer true stories or one's that COULD of been true.   Another of my favorite books is "Widow of The South" even though I never read much about the Civil War. 

And last Friday we were priviledged to hear the lady that replaced UMCOR'S Executive Director speak.  She was here for the last day of the Academy and she's a tiny little thing but her heart if big.   She had some big shoes to fill and I know her little feet would never fit his real life shoes but her heart is just as big and she's just as passionate about "the least of these" as he was.

She quoted from one of Buchner's books on Occupation.   I need to get the title of that book from someone that was paying more attention when she mentioned it than I was - Kathy?  Kim?   Can either of you help me?

So...as you all go off to work or not today think of me doing NOTHING for a change and probably taking a nap.   Oh yes, I'll be reading a little now and then too.

1 comment:

  1. Frederick Beuchner has written lots of books you would like, I think. Here is the link to a bunch of them at Amazon.

    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=buechner+frederick&x=0&y=0

    You could click around till you find the one it is! If this link isn't "live" (if you click and nothing happens), you can copy and paste it onto the top line and click "Go" and it should take you to Amazon. Or just go to Amazon with that spelling of his name.

    ReplyDelete