Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Geriatric Sewing Room

I feel like I'm working in a Geriatric ward somewhere this week.   We have a LOT of really OLD people here.   I have two 83 year olds in the sewing room and they about got to me yesterday.

One can't half see and runs a serger like she's driving an Indy 500 race car.   She broke a needle in one and while two of us worked on that she hooked herself up to another  one and had it broken within a few minutes.   This all took place within the first hour they were in the sewing room on Monday.     We all asked her to slow down while using the serger but she informed us that they were supposed to be made to run fast.  NOT SO.

Yesterday she took a tour of the Domestic Abuse Center in the morning but after lunch made her way back to see us.   I told her we had nothing to serge so she decided to sew.   She couldn't keep the maching working and finally took the bobbin out and complained it was wound wrong.   Of course the people using that machine in the morning had no problem with it at all.

The other one decided yesterday she wanted to sing.   Now I am all for people in their 80's doing what they can but PLEASE, the high pitched whiney nazal voice is just too much.  

One isn't quite 83 I don't think but she's very short.   Yesterday she complained that she couldn't reach the sewing machine pedal to make it run.   I lowered the chair for her and then she said she couldn't reach the sewing machine.   We finally got that fixed and after lunch she decided to pin handles and pockets on school bags.  

I was sitting beside her and had thrown a load of towels in the washer.   All of a sudden she said, "Boy, that sewing machine over there sounds like running water".    I thought she was kidding but not so.   We all had a good laugh over that one.

Today I'm helping finish book work on the Food For Family program from 11 to 12 and at 1 I am going to Lafayette to buy the rest of the fabric for the bags.   Who knows what the sewing room will look like when I get back tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. Figured you'd think this was funny. It is today but wasn't yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a sit-com on TV! Thanks for the laughs today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just turned 82 1/2 (Nov. 11) - so still have a few of my marbles - and can still sew pretty well (tho' am slower than I used to be!). I have never used a Serger, and at this point, I am not going to try to learn!

    ReplyDelete