Friday, December 17, 2010

Christmas 2006

I found this story awhile back and have been saving it till now.   I do NOT remember writing it but that sometimes happens with my best stories.


December 2006

I have this very large urge that I wish I could go get my mom and bring her here for Christmas. 

She would just LOVE to see all our kids, grown up and living their lives.   But...what she would really enjoy would be to see all our grandchildren.

Meagan - Goodness, I can just see her looking at you and asking you waht you would like to be.  It wouldn't matter what you told her, she would think it was a wonderful idea.   She would ask you if you enjoyed your trip to Illinois last year.  Then probably tell you her version of the children that drowned in Spoon River and how their  mother always took a wreath over and nailed it on a tree.

She would tell the story of how the Indians warned the white man NOT to put a Dam in Spoon River and she would know exactly how many people had drowned in it since the Dam had been installed.

She would look at Ted and I and see the pride we have in you.

You are our first born grandchild and she knows the special feeling we have for you.   Not that we love you anymore than the others, just the special feeling a grandparent has for that first one.

Then she would look at Sam.   Gosh, she'd LOVE you Sam.  Her first grandchild was a red headed boy, Jerry, so she would want to touch your shoulder and tell you what a good looking boy you are.   She would ask what grade you are in and if you had good teachers.    She she would ask what you like to do.  It would please her no end that you like to read as she was an avid reader.

And once again she'd look at Ted and I to see how we were beaming, listening to you talk.

She would want to see you ride your bike and skate board and tell us all how dangerous the skate board is.

Now Jordan, she would want to hold you.   She knew I always wanted red hair and she would tell you that.  She would know we miss having you close.   She would be thrilled that you are a good student.   Education was always important to her.

She would love watching you swim and dance.   She never did either but she would appreciate how well you do both.   She would see the pride Ted and I have when we talk about you and feel the pain we have when we have to leave you.

And Benjamin.   Man, she'd just love you to pieces.   She would really enjoy your sense of humor and the tricks you play on people.  She would want you to play aggrivation with her and unlike me, she would work it so you ALWAYS won.

She would hide those silly eggs for you and Jordan all day if you wanted her to and you could all play UNO till you went to bed.

And Jeremiah!   She would just love to talk to you and hear all about your chess tournaments and your swimming too, and watch you play ball.   She would love the gleam in your eye when you were about to pull a joke on your mom and sister.

She would want to visit your school and then she'd tell me how smart you are.

Now Sierra, gosh I can just see her loving you with her eyes.  I cannot tell you how much she would love you.   Anything you did would be WONDERFUL. 

We would tell her how little you were when you were born and she'd tell us waht a miracle you are.    We know that, but would agree with her wholeheartedly.

IF I could bring my mom to our house for Christmas this is just some of what we would do.

I'd love to get her a beautiful soft gown and some shoes that didn't hurt her feet, take her to a beauty shop and out to eat.    All the things I never did for her when she was alive.

She deserved a better life than she had.

4 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful, Mom. Thank you for sharing it!
    Love,
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are making me cry! I love you and I loved Grandma so much, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It makes me cry every time I read it. Tears are good for the soul.

    ReplyDelete