Thursday, January 27, 2011

CONNECTING WITH AN OLD FRIEND

We had more snow yesterday.   Not much, but it snowed from about 3:30 a.m. to around 10.   It was really wet and would of made a great snowman...IF I had not been such a wimp.  

I sewed most of the day.   Made school bags for Sager Brown but found that is not near as much fun sewing them alone as it is in the sewing room down there.   We are always laughing and telling jokes and just having a good time.

SO...after about 4 hours of sewing I decided to call my friend in Alaska, Elaine.   She has had MS for many years, is a cancer survivor, and about a year ago discovered she now has diabetes.     Last fall they discovered a sore she had developed from sitting in her wheel chair for so long and not being able to shift her weight.    Over the years she has grown very large.

In November she was admitted to a specialty hospital in Anchorage for treatment of bed sores and they thought she was getting better.    But not so.   A couple of weeks ago they did an MRI and discovered she has infection in a bone now from this.   SO...she has to stay another six weeks and is taking more medication.

She was really surprised when she answered the phone and it was me.    Truth is she was almost asleep but I woke her.   That's O.K.    I think she was glad I called and we had a good old fashioned "remember this" call.

She was a member of the same church I went to in Indiana and we used to do some ornery things.   That poor minister never knew what would happen next.  

One Sunday he was going to give the Children's sermon and no children came down but Elaine and I walked out of the choir with our choir robes on and sat beside him. 

Then there was the Farkel game and since I was a winner I "tithed" my winnings in a little brown envelope marked FARKEL.    The poor lady that counted the money (beware of card players, Kim) just didn't know what to do with that.   She approached Drexel and asked what she should do with it.  

We had a 40th birthday party for him with a belly dancer and it's a good thing YOU TUBE wasn't popular then.    We made the girl promise she'd tone her act down for him, which she did.   A few months after his 40th birthday, Elaine's husband turned 50 and she had a party for him with the same belly dancer only this time she didn't tame it down much.   I think the minister took as much of a teasing that night as Jim did.

BUT...the funniest time we ever had was when I was getting ready to move to Tennessee and they all took me to Happy Hour at some fancy restaurant in Indianapolis.   Man, I could of had the kids taken from me that night.

I got pretty HAPPY and we ended up at the mall about 8 p.m. and I got my ears pierced.  We found one of those stands in the middle of the Mall and I got on a stool to get the earrings.   I saw about 10 very wild looking people hanging over the counter laughing.    I asked the girl that was doing the piercing if she could tell we'd been drinking.    "ONLY WHEN YOU BREATHE" she said.     Elaine accused me of not remembering much of that when we talked yesterday but I do remember.   I'm not proud of it but I DO remember.  

What fun we had.   I would just LOVE to be able to walk  into that hospital room and stay with her for a few days.   At least we both had a good laugh and renewed our friendship.

And we are both surprised that our minister from Indiana is still a good friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment