Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Over The River and Through the Woods

Or something like that anyway as we headed home.    We pulled away from Normal at 4:20 a.m. with our windows free of ice but not the car.   Poor southern car isn't used to such harsh treatment.   It did good in the Nawth.

Once we got to the interstate one lane was open and I was reminded of a couple of years ago when Kim was in collage at U of I and I took her back after Christmas break.   It was a nasty snow the day before.   I had to have a tooth pulled that day and got stuck about 3 times on my way home from the dentist till I finally buried the car and had to have Ted come push me out with his trusty Ford truck.

The next morning Mark and I were taking Kim back to Champaign and for a little while the road would be clear, then you'd be on a patch of ice with no warning.    I was so scared and had an angel of a driver behind me that must of seen the look in my eyes in my rear view mirror because this gentle person followed us all the way to Champaign.    I think I was driving about 30 mph.

ANYWAY...Ted was driving today and we had no problem and once we headed south on I57 the road was mostly clear.

We watched the thermometer in the car slowly climb and it was about 35 by the time we pulled in our driveway.

We are tired but it was a good time in Illinois.   Got to spend some quality time with Kim, Jeremiah, and Sierra.    Ted is almost full of rhubarb pie with a few pieces of apple on the side.   He had to share with Ron - to be nice.   :)

We got to meet Ron and see those two kids play basketball.   We also got a refresher course  on living in Illinois in snow and cold temps.    Not sure we are up to that.   That's a decision we have to make yet. 

All in all it was a good trip.   Time to settle down here at home though for a few days.   Since October 1 we have only been home three weeks and we are ready to take some afternoon naps and be bored awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment