Saturday, June 19, 2010

FATHER'S DAY

Well, this strikes a nerve in me.   My own father died when I was nine and it took me years to get over that.    He was a really good Dad.   He taught me to milk, bragged on my hand writing, took me out to look for new born calves on an old "Plug Horse" we had named PET.    He would be on one of his good horses but Pet went about anywhere we wanted her to.  

Now, we don't make a big deal out of Father's Day, Mother's Day or any other special day for that matter.    We just try to BE on any given day.   I think that's what my Mom and Dad did too.

I do want to say something about my children's father though.   He is out weed-eating his LobLolly Pine trees he put out 2 1/2 years ago.   500 of them to be exact.    Yesterday we mowed till I gave out and had to quit.  It was 88 degrees and just too hot for this OLD woman.

SO...Ted finished for me.   TOday he is outside (another 88 degree day) and there he is finishing up mowing between the rest of the little trees and I ran to the grocery store.   When I got home he was weed-eating around them.   Now NONE of this really has to be done - he actually likes to work in the heat.  

After he helped me carry the groceries in out of the car I asked if he couldn't find something else to do in the heat and he said he was trying.

He taught all our kids to drive, gave them some great values in life, was always there for them when I just couldn't be, and still seems to be.     He's not perfect - neither am I - but I will say he's been a good mate and a GREAT FATHER from my point of view.

Happy Father's Day, Ted.

Ellen

1 comment:

  1. Happy Father's Day to a great dad there! (I have a new poem for mine--don't tell!--and we got Tony a charcoal grill column thing he's been wanting so he won't curse at the coals, plus a gigantic cookie that says "King of the Grill" on it. It's possible we will give him these things early, and make him cook....)

    ReplyDelete