Saturday, September 4, 2010

DIRECTIONS

Last night on the 5:30 news Brian Williams mentioned how much men spend on driving around looking for a place instead of asking for DIRECTIONS.

We've had that discussion a few times at our house too.   Even Ted had to laugh last night at the thought.

I remember one time in particular that was rather scary for me.   You see, Ted has a perfect sense of direction.    He ALWAYS knows which way a street will run, where to turn to get where he wants to go.  I was even surprised he let me buy a GPS.

BUT...when we came to Nashville to look the town over and see if we thought we might like to live here (that would of been Labor Day week-end 1983) Ted got turned around when we came into town.   I guess coming down those hills turned his brain around.    He had no idea where we were to go and the REALLY ODD thing was I (who NEVER knows which direction to go )   knew exactly the road we needed.   My sense of direction is so bad that when we moved to Indianapolis and I had to go somewhere new I'd have Ted give me directions but made sure Mark was there with me.   When Connie, Mark, and I drove home from Houston one time if I hadn't had Mark with me I would never of turned on I55 to come north and we lived in Indianapolis at the time.   If I had gotten into Memphis in those days I would probably of still of been there looking for a way out.

Back to my trying to help Ted around Nashville.   He knew  I NEVER knew directions and he ALWAYS did so he would ask me which way to turn on a certain street and I'd tell him "Go to the light and turn right".    He'd go to the light and turn left.   I began to wonder if he was loosing his mind and that was ONE SCARY THOUGHT.     He would glare at me like I was something from Mars and be upset that I was right.

It took almost a whole day of this before he realized he had gotten turned around when we drove into town and thought he was going north when he was actually going south.  

Brian said most men spend about $3,000 in a lifetime on extra gas because they won't ask for directions and I'm certain we didn't spend that much but I was one happy lady when he realized which way he was driving and didn't need me to try and help anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment