Wednesday, September 15, 2010

MY CHURCH

I LOVE my church.   Ted and I helped build that church but then moved to the lake and we were gone for several years.

It's a much bigger church now and I don't understand the politics of a big church but they do a LOT of good and I LOVE IT.  I love the people, the music, the youth - well, you get the picture.

Last night I was asked to come to the Outreach Meeting and speak about UMCOR Sager Brown in hopes of getting some enthusiasm on a team that might come down to work.   BUT...there wasn't much excitement there.  The chairman of the committee likes it and I think everyone likes the idea but they just don't want to go work.

I could of left after I gave my speal and passed out some short video's that we use for promotion but I wanted to see just what they did.

I heard three or four of the people speak on their committee's and the need to help homeless families and hungry children is overwhelming.    We collect clothing for the homeless and there is an organization in Franklin that has just about anything people need free so we donate to that.   We feed the homeless Sunday dinner once a month and the numbers have more than doubled in the last 3 years.

One lady said she needed something to have donations put in so they didn't get mixed in with other committee's collection.   They talked about some big plastic tubs and where they might be stored.  She asked if she could put them in the Narthex.    This seemed logical to me.   I put some cardboard boxes there a couple of years ago when we were collecting blankets for families in Franklin.

Well, one member informed her that she BETTER speak with the Trustees before she put ANYTHING like that in the Narthex.   You see, we have a new addition and the Narthex is where everyone comes into the building except those of us that come in the "kitchen door".

I guess they didn't think that would look good there and they don't like these boxes sitting there.   WHAT???
A BIG church that doesn't want people to know we give to the needy or where to put things if we do bring something?   Let's put on our happy face and big hat and look important but don't leave any dirt on the floor.

I know, churches aren't perfect but if we can't collect stuff except in the back room what are we?   I also learned that my church has a $1,000,000 budget (I didn't know that) but only $12,000 goes to Outreach.  I think that's embarrasing.   It is to me.  

2 comments:

  1. I thank you for all the work you do and your generous heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathleen, when you get to know me better you will learn that I don't do ANYTHING I don't WANT to do. Had a minister tell me one time (after I'd turned down the offer to be secretary to the Administrative Board and was feeling guilty) that we should NEVER do anything for our church we don't want to. You know, that seems to work for me.

    ReplyDelete