Friday, September 24, 2010

THOSE WERE THE DAYS

Haven't been able to come up with an exciting blog this week (AHEM) but someone mentioned something that stirred a memory in me I thought I'd write about.

This is Western Illinois Homecoming in Macomb, Illinios.   When I was a young high school girl, MANY YEARS AGO, our highschool band always marched in their parade.   It was one of the few highlights we had in the band.   I LOVED marching in that parade.    The square of Macomb was always packed with people and even though our uniforms were hot we all looked pretty darned spiffy in them.   Donna was our drum major and she was beautiful and I envied her being able to do that but baby, I played the drums and I kept that band marching.

A couple of years I was invited to Western's Homecoming Dance and that was really big time for this little country girl.   I usually had a formal to wear or could borrow one and the kid that invited me was one of the best dancers I ever danced with.    I never seriously liked him but boy could he dance.

AND...he always brought me an orchid to wear and I'd never even seen one till then.    So...I'd march in the parade, get home and clean up and off I'd go dancing.  

THOSE WERE THE DAYS

2 comments:

  1. Good memories!
    I recall a picture of you running AFTER the band with your drum....how did THAT happen? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was the Memorial Day parade in Vermont. Grandad sent that picture to your dad when he was in Korea. I had lost my drum sticks and just found them and had to run to catch the band.

    Grandad and I were buddies from the first time I ever saw him. Used to give each other crazy birthday gifts.

    ReplyDelete