Saturday, September 25, 2010

SOUTHERN WHAT??????

Sorry, I'm on a kind of soapbox again but there is one church down here that just sets me off.

It is called   SOUTHERN   ??????, I'll not mention the denomination here but we don't have a SOUTHERN METHODIST, SOUTHERN PRESBYTERIAN, SOUTHERN CATHOLIC or any other kind of SOUTHERN church so think you can figure out what I'm getting at.

First of all the newspaper yesterday said that lots of ministers were going to preach to their congregations tomorrow on who they should vote for in the upcomng election.   Not  to hint at who they should vote for but TELL them who to vote for.   This church could loose their tax free status if someone wanted to really get nasty over this but I'm not sure that would be a bad thing anyway.

Then many of you do not know but a group wants to build an  Islamic Mosque in Murfreesboro, Tennessee.  It has received much publicity, someone even set fire to one piece of equipment being used to prepare the ground for it.  

Yesterday a group of interdenominational ministers met at the site to sign a pledge to work with them and help them accomplish this task and be good neighbors.   BUT...yes, there was one disscenter - you guess it a SOUTHERN  ?????.   

I really don't understand people like this.   Several years ago we had a neighbor call me and ask what the Methodist Church believed in.   When someone throws that at you it's hard to come up with only one or two things, we believe in a LOT of different things.    She continued to tell me that she was SOUTHERN ????? and they were raised to think they were better than anyone else and I really didn't have an answer at the time.    She has long moved but I think maybe if someone told me that now I would have several good lines I could say to them.  

1 comment:

  1. Ellen, I have indeed heard about that issue, and I wish you well dealing with it! Sounds like there are reasonable and compassionate people there with you!

    And, yes, I think it is "illegal" within some church rules to tell people who to vote for...but maybe not among SOUTHERN church rules. We'll see, won't we!

    ReplyDelete