Tuesday, September 14, 2010

REUNION

My trusty little Webster's Dictionary says that the word REUNION means:  "A gathering of people that have been apart".    

I went to a high school class reunion this past week-end and that definition would describe it pretty well.   BUT...it left out all the great feelings that go with that.

We started out with a good friend having about 10 of us for dinner Friday night in her home.   She had a spread of salads, meats, casseroles, and desserts that you would think she was feeding thrashers.   SHE LOVES TO COOK.     We all had just the best time and she just acts like this is an everyday thing.  ME???   If I had cooked all that they would probably of had to wheel me out in a wheelchair.

Then Saturday we met Kim and Jeremiah and Sierra in Ipava for the Camp Ellis Homecoming Parade.  Now that was just a special time for us.  To think that we can meet them and spend time with them and not have to be gone from them for months and months is just so special to Mom and Dad.   We'll be doing that again.

AND...the kids LOVED that silly little parade.  The band only has about 12 members and when I was there (100 years ago) we had 60 or so.   I wanted to cry.   But they marched and looked good and even sounded pretty good to me.    I got to see friends in the parade and a cousin drove his tractor.   Sierra and I yelled at him till he FINALLY threw us some candy.   Didn't want Sierra to go home without any candy.   HA HA HA

Then Saturday night we had the big REUNION of 10 classes that graduated from the very first V.I.T. High School.   They consolidated Vermont, Ipava, and Table Grove in 1948 and moved the high school to Table Grove.  They only used that building for 10 years and then built a whole new complex on the road between Ipava and Table Grove.    During that 10 years Ted and I both graduated so we BOTH get to go to the same reunion.

We had a good time but there are so many now that are SO much younger than we are and we knew very few.   We did get to REUNITE with some good friends and family that we would not otherwise see.

Then Sunday morning we drove to Normal and Ted dropped me off at church and he went to Kim's house to assemble the fishing poles he and the fishermen would use later.   He'll have to tell you that story since I watched football and slept while they were fishing.

One of the highlights of the whole week-end for me was to have Kim and Sierra serve me communion Sunday.   These are times a grandmother lives for.

I have a lot of good memories from this week-end and can't wait to get moved.  I'm anxious to see these two grandchildren a LOT more and be involved in their activities.  

No comments:

Post a Comment