Thursday, August 11, 2011

THE BAG LADY



Last night I went to West End United Methodist Church for dinner and a movie.

The lady Jill works for serves dinner some Wednesday nights and usually has a movie to make us think.   This was about plastic bags and was very good.

First though I got to see Jill selling the canned goods Martha does herself.   Her husband has a stand too with organic food he raises.

Then I got to see Sam and some of his friends and before I left I got to see Tim.   WOW!!!   Had no idea I'd get to see so many.   Jill took time out to come eat dinner with me and it was nice to have a little while with her.

The dinner was delicious.  Baked chicken, corn pudding, some squash in a wonderful sauce, a roll, lemonade or coffee, or water (in glass glasses no less), and some of the best lemon cake I have EVER eaten.   Lemon refrigerator cake.   Boy, it was GOOD.

Before the dinner I was priviledged to meet THE BAG LADY.    Three years ago she decided to make her own shopping bags.   Some of her students at Belmont University saw these and insisted she have a blog and make them.   She GIVES them away.   She and several of her friends make them and they go around to different places to give them to people and try to impress on them that we should NOT be using plastic OR paper.   Each bag has a label with her name, web page, email, and a number.   I received number 17,040. 

Then the movie was very informative.   A lot of it I had heard before but one thing was new.   The man that narrated the movie even had small bags he used for our produce, apples, peaches, corn, etc.   That never occured to me but those bags are plastic too.

This may just be something I decide to try and make for family and friends IF they would use them.   I guess first I have to be sure I USE THEM.

No comments:

Post a Comment