Thursday, August 18, 2011

STIRRED MEMORIES

I went to the library yesterday to get a book a friend had suggested.   On my way I was listening to NPR and they were interviewing an author, Gail Caldwell.  She was talking about the book "Let's Take The Long Way Home" she wrote about her friend, Caroline Knapp.  Caroline died of lung cancer but the story is about their deep friendship and love of dogs, each other, and life. 

It stirred memories of a good friend I lost 40 years ago.  I cannot believe it has been that long.   She, too, had cancer only it was everywhere in her body. 

Peggy was like a sister to me.  She knew me inside and out; the good, the bad, and the ugly and still loved me.  We met because we were both new in the neighborhood on Fell Ave and most of the other residents were older.   We started getting to know each other best when our two oldest went into Kindergarten together.   She could get up in front of a PTA meeting and talk like a pro.    I never did have the ability to do that.   I could tell her anything and knew it wsn't going to go any further.

My kids LOVED going there.   She let them walk on the furniture, play with anything, took us swimming at State Farm Park or took us out to her parents farm outside of Danvers.  They had a beautiful big front porch and every time I'd go if she saw me drive in she'd come to the door, open it and say "WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN?"    I can see her yet.

This book is about the grief Gail went through when Caroline died.   I remember some of the same things happening to me.  Sometimes I would miss her so much.   I think there are times I still miss her almost as much.   We had the most fun together.  

We both watched soaps because we were stay-at-home mom's and that's what we did then.   One day we went to Danvers to her parents and missed one of our favorites.   When we got home she found out one of the main characters had died in the program that day.   She called me and was all upset.   I had to laugh, I said, "Peggy, it's a T.V. show"    We both would laugh at the silly things.  

When I went in to see her one time after I got pregnant with Mark she looked at me, gave me a hug, and said, "You are so happy pregnant, you glow"    

I still have friends but friends are like your children.   Each one is different and you love them all.   I've learned to hang on to the one's I have left.   At my age we really never do know what tomorrow will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment