Friday, July 16, 2010

The HELP

I finished the book Kim loaned me.   So many things go through my mind when I reflect on that book.   Truly one of the best books I've ever read.   She's quite a writer.

The first thing that comes to my mind is how ashamed I am for all we have done to the black people in this country.   Living in the south I see it and HEAR it a lot.   It bothers me when I do but I tuck my tail and run.  I'm not about to take on WHITE TRASH and the honest to God truth is - I'm a wimp or am I WHITE TRASH too?

I have a friend at church that has fought for the black people to be allowed in an organization he belongs to.   He's fought, argued, and LOST this battle every year.   He said his first thought was to quit but then he said he'd have no way to fight it.    He and his wife have grown children but about 5 years ago they adopted two little sisters and they are black.    His wife almost cried when they told of an incident and realized these people were SUPPOSED to be their friends and had visited in their home.     Todd makes no apologies for his actions and the organization cannot boot him out as he's already a member.    I admire this couple a lot.

I joined a book club this summer here in our little town and couldn't hardly stay the hour but never once challanged them.    SO...I'm just as bad as Hilly in many ways.

I have read many books by a good old Baptist Minister here in Tennessee.    He wrote one book that helped me understand the south better than anything I've read.   He and his brother were as opposite as night and day on this subject and he worked for the Civil Rights in the 60's and was in danger many times.   BUT...he never backed down from his belief's.   His name is WIll Campbell and he lives in Mt. Juliet.    He's one Baptist Minister I'd go hear preach if he had a church.  

This book made me cry, laugh, gasp, and a couple of times I had to lay it down and take a break.   I don't know how you could ever eat Chocolate Pie again without thinking of this book.      I LOVED MINNY.

One thing I've noticed living here and in the book too is, the white people really do believe they are a superior race.   How can ANYONE think they are better than anyone else? 

Many of my friends dislike President and Michelle Obama JUST because they are black.   They don't see all the good they are doing and never will because they just don't look at the person.

Well, enough of an Old Woman's Musings on this subject.

3 comments:

  1. Kim made chocolate pie for our book group the night we discussed the book. We ate it all up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Important musings, Old Woman! Old = Wise

    ReplyDelete