Wednesday, August 11, 2010

California Trip - Part II FINAL CHAPTER

I went to California on Friday to see my sister-in-law.   She had some friends of Jim's she wanted me to meet so she had invited them to lunch on Saturday.   Then I thought we were going to go to Menlo Park on Sunday to see her daughter and family.

BUT...when I got there Maria was all excited about an anniversary party the two brothers that own Google were having.   One of the brothers and wife had been married for three years and were inviting several ( maybe 200 or so) friends to a farm they bought to help celebrate.

Maria's son-in-law went to school at Stamford with one of these men so they had been invited and asked if Maria and I could come too.

It didn't sound like such a big deal to me but Maria wanted to go and she's just someone I cannot say no to. 

So...after the company left Saturday we loaded up a few clothes and took off to spend the night at Dorothy's house.

This was just the most fun.   To have a whole evening AND a day to watch those two little blond girls.   They are 26 months old, blond curly hair, and both strong willed.   Basically good kids but they both have a good set of lungs and know how to use them when something goes wrong.

We went to eat dinner at a restaurant that sits across the road from the Bart and they girls LOVE the train.   So do I.  We sat on the deck outside and this was a treat too.    After dinner there was a fountain close by they always walk to and the girls dip their hands in.  I didn't think it was the cleanest water I'd ever seen but their mom and dad seemd fine with it.   Then one of them proceeded to wash her face.   I really thought that was a bit much and her mom got her to quit, looked at me and said, "That's why she's never sick".    Probably true.

Well, the celebration the next day was just great.   They had built a BIG (and I mean BIG) barn where they had some inside games planned in case of rain (it never rains in CA).  They could also feed all these people in there and the meal they prepared was unbelievable.   Steak, corn on the cobb, salads, pies, wine, lemonade.  If they didn't have it I bet they would of found it somewhere.

The farm is 6 miles from the ocean and high on a hill.   They had a truck bed filled with straw bales where you were to have your picture taken.   I opted out of that as didn't think I wanted to make a spectacle of myself trying to climb up in that truck bed.   The girls decided to drive the truck and looked like they were really preparing for the day they can both have a car.   Thank you Lord I don't have to witness that!!!!!

There were real trapeeze artists there with all the equipment and you could go up and fly around on ropes if you so desired.   I ALSO decided not to do that.   :)   Later these people put on a real show for us.  I'm thinking that might be fun to have for our party next summer.     Haven't asked Ted yet if we could invite them or not.

Oh, I forgot one of the best things.   When you first walked up you had to sign in as this was INVITED GUESTS only.   When you did they had a table with BIG tubs full of cowboy hats for you. Everyone was to take a hat and keep it if you wanted.    I wore one all day but decided I didn't want to fight it on the plane coming home.    Now I wish I had it back.   Oh well.

They had a craft area for the children, face painting,  relay games where you get to push your kid, head first like a wheel barrow.   That's always fun.   Especially if you are the parent.

ANYWAY...it was a fun day and if Mark had sent me his resume he might of gotten a job too.    :)

1 comment:

  1. I've never been to such a high-falutin' shindig as THAT in my life! Sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete