Thursday, August 26, 2010

CUBS GAME 1950

Forgive me Kim, but your blog today brought tears to my eyes.   In the year 1950 (most of you can't even remember that far back) I went to Chicago for a week to visit brother Bob and his wife Gert.

They both worked so I was left in their little apartment (and I mean LITTLE) all day watching their T.V. that was about 6" square.   BUT...my mom and I didn't have one at all so this was pretty neat.   I was informed when I walked down the hall to the bathroom NOT to speak to anyone.  Now I came from central Illinois and had a whole town as my playground and we spoke to EVERYONE.

But...I did as I was told and they also said if ANYONE knocked on the door NOT to open it.   This was a new world for me.

On Thursday of that week they said I could go to the Cubs game if I wanted to.  They lived about 2 blocks from Wrigley Field and Thursday was ladies day and I could go for a quarter - that's .25 cents in American money.     Did I want to?    DOes  - well we all know what bears do in the woods, right?

So...on Thursday I took my .25 cents and walked to Wrigley field.   Today I have a problem understanding how you could walk alone in Chicago if you were 13 years old but could not talk to anyone in your apartment building.   Oh well. 

I had just the best time.   They played Philidelphia and had been loosing but won that day.   When Harry Carry sang "Take Me Out To The Ball Game" on your SONG OF THE DAY, it brought tears to my eyes remembering how much I LOVED seeing that game and how VERY MUCH Bob loved those Cubbies.  Jim did too and so did Uncle Bill and they all hoped they'd live to see the BIG DAY when the Cubs win BIG ONE.

Oh, I almost forgot.   When the game was over and I was walking home some great big man stepped on the side of my sandal and it broke so bad I had to take it off.    I kept walking beside him waiting for him to apologize.   He never did.    I still had a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment