Sunday, August 15, 2010

One Senior Couple's conversation on a book.

I found the other evening I had nothing to read when I went to bed.   So searched the book case for something to help get me to sleep.

Yesterday Ted and I decided to drive to Lewisburg TOGETHER (this is rare) and get all our errands run at once.   On the way I was telling him I had picked up the book Grapes of Wrath and was reading it but decided I'd already read it.

He started talking about it and I said, "Oh, no, the Mother died in childbirth.  He said he guessed he'd have to go back and read the beginning of that book because he didn't remember it that way at all.  

Secretely this pleased me no end because he ALWAYS remembers movies and books whereas I might not so easily.

He asked me where they were when she died and I told him in the middle of the forrest in the dead of winter with no food and he had no help in delivering the baby except their two older children.

He finally said, "You were reading Pillars of The Earth" which, of course, I had been.    I think maybe it's closer to nursing home time for me than I want to admit.

I just wonder how many other Senior Citizens have these kinds of discussions - if any.    I have often wondered about Ted's mom and dad.    We seem to get more and more like them in many ways in our older years.    I used to think Ted's dad was the funniest man I had ever known, now when Ted does the same kinds of things I don't think they are near as funny.

Well,  just some more musings.

No comments:

Post a Comment