Wednesday, August 4, 2010

GNO

Just read Kim's blog about GNO and what fun it was.   I don't mean to copy but it stirred a few times I've been out with GIRL FRIENDS, even took a trip to Hawaii once and man, that's the ultimate.

There were three of us that had horses when we were in high school (100 years ago) and I thought it would be fun for the three of us to meet somewhere.   One lived in California, one up by Chicago and of course I was here in Tennessee.  

Well...the one in California asked if anyone would be interested in going to Hawaii since she had a time share?   Are you kidding?   I had my ticket before she could change her mind.

She also asked if we cared if she invited her cousin.   That was fine.   She and her cousin and even the other gal had $$$$ in their family which I did not, but was still able to go along.

We were to meet at the airport in Honolulu about 6 p.m.   BUT...the one from California had had to have an engine replaced or something and did not show up till almost midnight.   No cell phones in those days and the airline did not inform us of the delay even though we asked MANY times.

By the time she got there we were beyond funny, we were probably VERY obnoxious and about as tired as we've ever been.

We rented a car and got to our hotel about 2 a.m. and when we saw it I thought I was in a dream.   It was the penthouse on top of a hotel ON Wakaii (sp) beach.  We had a key to get out onto the beach.   NO ONE WAS THERE when I got up and went for an early morning walk at 5 a.m.

We spent three days in Honolulu and saw the big surf we all see on T.V., the WWII Museum that just made us very sad.   Saw how the Hulla (sp) dance was done and even participated in practicing with about 200 other people.   You could see Diamond Head from our room and one of the girls and I walked up to the top. 

Then it was time for the real vacation to start.   WE flew to Maui and on the short flight over our HUNK of a steward asked if we were part of a tour.    We all laughed, saying "NO", we ARE the tour, that we had all gone to school together 40 years ago and decided on a get-away.

We stayed in a condo on Maui at the top of a hill and could walk to the beach although we only went swimming one afternoon.

We went snorkeling, whale watching, to a pineapple plantation and if you have never eaten pineapple right off the plant, let me tell you there is NOTHING as sweet.  

We took a bus trip to Hanna, one of the last native areas with black beaches and a drive up to it that is incredible.   It's only about 35 miles up there but the road winds around and around and across something like 30 bridges.   The flowers grow like we saw in Ecuador.   Impatient flowers that grew 3 and 4 feet high in the wild with waterfalls that took your breath away.

One of the gals had gotten some bad salad the night before at dinner and was about as sick as I've ever seen anyone.    She was miserable but that didn't keep the rest of us from enjoying this wonderful trip.   We took a helicopter back to Maui and what a ride that was.    I got Ted to take a helicopter ride in Gatlinburg once, thinking it would be the same - NOT.   Man, I was scared to death when we got out of that one but the one in Hawaii was just an incredible ride. 

I'm so glad I did this.  We had a really fun time and I got to see a place I never would of otherwise.  AND it was with ALL GIRLS.   Sorry guys but we can have fun, even without you.

No comments:

Post a Comment