Thursday, August 12, 2010

Cleaning Drawers

With the anticipation of a move within the next year and our commitment to UMCOR Sager Brown this fall, I wanted to go through some drawers and clean out things I didn't need.

I have a problem throwing things away.    Especially cards people have given me telling me all the things that really aren't true but I like to hear them anyway.    The cards the Grandkids make me are just not negotiable in that department.   

My sewing table is an old credenza from an office I worked in in Nashville.   I LOVE that old table.  It weighs about 1 ton, is scarred up and has nicks in the wood, but has lots of drawers and a cubby hole where more darned stuff can be tucked away.

I did some drawers in an old computer desk earlier this week and by gosh I did get rid of a bunch of stuff.  BUT...this evening I came in to the sewing table with good intentions of CLEANING out all the old STUFF I don't use.

SO...out came the first drawer.   There were scraps of fabric I use to check the stitches of my serger.  That was easy enough.   I have TONS of fabric I can use for that.   BUT...here are all these snaps, bra hooks, (of course I am always mending my bras), elastic for all the slacks I make - AHEM!!!!   Now those things are not something I want to have to go clear to Nashville to replace so of course they were returned.  

Then there is all the magazines I used to take with crafts in them.   I've probably had some of those for 10/15 years and I just MIGHT need one of those patterns one of these days.   Especially if we DO end up in Illinois in the dead of winter and I need something to do.  SO...they went back in the drawer too.

I still have four drawers and the cubby hole to clean out.   The only thing I can attest to tossing is the scraps of fabric.

I remember when Jill was a little girl.   She had this really neat closet her dad built with shelves back in the corner.   That girl could get more darned stuff in there.   I would get her and we'd go in with the intention of cleaning out all unused books, etc.   Somehow she always convinced me she MIGHT need those one of these days and they usually just got straightened up and put back.   Wonder where she got that from?

My top left hand drawer  of my funky old sewing table is really clean and neat anyway - just like Jills' shelves were.

Wonder how far I'll get tomorrow.   Then there's the closets.  Oh, let's not go there.

1 comment:

  1. If you are determined to keep everything you might also have Sierra help you!

    ReplyDelete