Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Friday, October 13, 1961

I remember the day as being a beautiful fall day.   I was well ready to have my baby and have help with this child.   Kim and I took a walk to a neighbors house late in the afternoon, went home and fixed hamburgers and strawberry shortcake for supper. 

Some of the headlines that day were:

Mickey Mantle was the highest paid baseball player.  Signed contract for $75,000,
Soviet cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin was the first human in space,
President Kennedy announces U.S. goal of reaching the moon before the end of the century,
South Africa leaves British Commonwealth, becomes a republix,
The Ford Falcon was in the headlines

AND...

about 6 o'clock my water broke and we hurried up and delivered Kim next door to neighbors to keep so we could go to the hospital.    I called Ruth Ann to come be with me for the delivery and by the time she arrived at Mennonite Hospital I was well into labor.

About 11 p.m. (I think)  Jill made her entrance to the tune of 9 lbs., 13 ozs, on Friday the the 13th of October.

The next morning I was sitting on my bed and some Dr. walked in and said;

"Your baby was born on Friday the 13th, there are 13 babies in the nursery.   Your baby should of weighed 13 lbs."  I looked at him and said, "Who the Hell are you?"    He was the pediatritian I had never met.  

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Jill.   Love you,  mom

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to Jill! Oh, I think 9 lbs, 13 oz is close enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think my daughter was 9 lb, 12 oz!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom. Thanks...and thanks for the birthday wish Kathy. I love you mom.

    ReplyDelete