Wednesday, October 6, 2010

SEWING ROOM 1

I numbered this because I'm sure there will be several other stories about the sewing room.   BUT...this was the first day I had anyone come in to sew.  They were being used to unpack all those boxes and Ted said last night they finished.

I only had two show up this morning and knew there would be none this afternoon because Wednesday afternoon the volunteers go sight seeing and this weather is perfect.

But...this morning I had a lady and a young woman.   She looked like she was a high school student but after talking with her I learned she is a collage graduate, has traveled the world but never used a sewing machine.

She did very well and put handles on several school bags and then asked what the WHOLE process was of making a bag.   So I had her cut one out, and cut out the handles.   First she sewed the handles up and then trimmed the bag and put the handles on each end.    I decided she was very capable and probably would like to learn to use a serger so she serged the sides.    She was very pleased with her bag and had the other lady take a picture of her with her first sewing project.

I then learned that the "OTHER LADY" was a home ec teacher.   Not fair to put an old woman in that situation without some warning.   I think the lesson was a success though as at lunch the hostess to the dorm said Adele had told her she learned to sew and how much she enjoyed it.    l

1 comment:

  1. That home ec teacher probably enjoyed just sewing and NOT having to teach someone else to do it!

    ReplyDelete