Thursday, October 14, 2010

SEWING ROOM 2

This week I have seven in the sewing room - most of the time.   There are a couple that have gone to the Women's Abuse Center and I encourage these little trips.   Today one or two are going to the Mickey Mouse Head Start program. 

We can go to the MMHS and read and just seeing 40+ children ages 3 and 4 sitting at a table together having breakfast and hearing them recite the little prayer together is something.

But...for the most part we have seven women and one man sewing.   This guy is a retired Jr. High School Principal and a fast learner.   He picked up making school bags so fast I put him on a serger and he's doing a great job.

Another lady from his church is just a jewel.   She will do ANYTHING that needs to be done and does it well.   Yesterday I had two sergers come unthreaded at the same time and could not seem to get either one working again.   I was getting pretty frustrated and she offered to go look at the one while I tackled the other.   Before you know it we both had them working again.

BUT...of course there is always ONE in every crowd.    This is a little lady that first of all corrected my pronounciation of Yakima.  That's fine, I usually don't get foreign words pronounced correctly - ask Kim.  Then later she suggested in a TEACHER fashion that I pin handles on bags the way SHE had.   Someone said what did you do when she suggested that.   I told them I just said, "YOUBETCHA" and did it.  They got a good laugh out of that.   I didn't do it that way but decided to go ahead and do it her way and keep peace in the sewing room.

But yesterday she told me to count the bags they had done and we needed to start cleaning the room up.   Well, it was about 20 minutes too early and I was busy sewing some handles together so I said, "I'm still sewing and anyway, it's way too early to start cleaning up".     SO...little mother hen just got up and did it herself and some of her little chicks followed.    She pretty well had the room cleaned up when they left and I didn't have much to do after lunch.   CLUCK  CLUCK  CLUCK

2 comments:

  1. I hope that little hen isn't reading your blog! Squawk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can just see this situation in my mind! :D
    By the way, Benjamin thinks it's really funny that you say "You BETCHA!" and imitates you sometimes at home. LOL!

    ReplyDelete