Tuesday, October 26, 2010

One Special Volunteer

This week we have a group from Oak Ridge, TN and I have worked with a few of them before.   But there is a lady in the sewing room that has become very special to me.

She was very easy to get along with yesterday, nothing outstanding but we just hit it off.   Today she was sitting at a machine in front of me and we were just visiting while sewing.   I was telling her two of my children were good friends with their ex-spouses.  

All of a sudden she turned around and told me she had been divorced for 15 years and she and her ex were also good friends.   Then she said, "He died yesterday".    Tears were in her eyes and I thought for a minute I had misunderstood her but she repeated it.

I just felt so bad for her.   I got up, went up and gave her a hug and then she told me about their relationship the last few years.   

I asked her if I could put her on the prayer list here for Vespers Thursday night and she said yes.

I went back to my machine and was sitting there realizing how blaze I can get about these people.   In a trip here I meet from 300 to 400 people from all over the U.S.    I need to remind myself that I do not know what pain they bring with them or what is on their hearts and be mindful of these things.

2 comments:

  1. What a sweet thing you did, offering her your hug and prayer. And thinking about her later, too.

    ReplyDelete