Friday, October 1, 2010

LUNCH WITH GOOD FRIENDS

Yesterday was a day I had looked forward to for some time.   I went back to the United Methodist Publishing House where I worked and met up with a dear friend for lunch.   I also took another dear friend from those days and surprised Marvin.

First I picked up Wini and we were early so we went into Cokesbury Bookstore.   It's all different now than when I worked up there which was some twenty years ago.   I cannot believe it's been that long. 

Then we met Marvin coming into the lobby of the Publishing House after he had been to a meeting.  So...he took his material to his office and off we went.   The day was just perfect fall weather and we walked a couple of blocks to the old train station in Nashville for lunch.

Wini hired me to work as a temporary employee for her in the Disciple office.   She was the Director and when I first started there were only two other women working with her.   I LOVED working there and never dreamed I'd someday get a REAL job there.

I worked for Wini one summer and then due to budget cuts had to be let go.   Went back to work for Kelley Services and was working for the Planning Commission of Nashville when Wini called me saying there was a job open in the typing pool and she was sure I could get it if I was interested.    She really helped me get that job and said she knew it wasn't something I would love, but it WOULD get me in the door.   She was right.  I hated the typing pool but did learn about the people there and when an opening in the Marketing Department came I was lucky enough to be hired as their secretary.

I worked there three and a half years and loved it, I mean I LOVED it.   I worked for a young man, two young women and another man a little older that I had gone to church with.    They were so much fun and we were all in one big room so the jokes and laughter could be heard all over.  I worked hard for them but it was good work and they made it fun. I learned what a Marketing Plan was and how books get their names and even met one of my favorite authors.    I understand that working for the Publishing House now is NOT fun and I'm thankful I was able to work when it was.

I met Marvin during that time.   We had lost a member of another team and Marvin was brought in to fill that position.   He's a small man of stature, but a big man in warmth and brains.   He's a United Methodist Minister so he's well qualified for what he does.

He is editor of Mature Years Magazine and edited an article I had published there after we went to Ecuador with Kim.   He not only edits that magazine, writes adult S.S. material, does several other jobs for them and is Secretary of the General Conferences.   He shared with us he has not had a raise in 12 years.   Unbelievable.

We laughed, talked about things that happened when we were all there together, our kids, their kids, and Wini and I told Marvin he needed to retire now that he has two beautiful grandchildren.   The two hours passed way too fast but it was a wonderful day for all. 

I am so lucky with the things I've done in my life.    Working there when I did, then Ted and I moving to the lake when we were young enough to enjoy it and traveling like we did.   It's been a grand journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment