Saturday, April 9, 2011

A Bit of Nostalgia

Yesterday I woke up way too early.   I played a few computer games, answered a couple of emails and realized it was still too early to get the day started.

So...I decided to clean out my recipe drawer.   It was well past time to do this.  I have a large drawer in my kitchen that all my recipe books are stored.     I seem to have a bad habit of tearing a page out of a magazine with a recipe I like and tossing it in that drawer - LOOSE.   I keep old magazines too.   One of my readers was afraid I was having a mental problem one time because I had given her some magazines she thought should of been tossed a long time before.     Oh well, some of us are just packrats.

I found cook books from every church I had ever belonged to I think, cookbooks from some churches of friends, a cook book from the Telephone Pioneers of America, the GTE Wives of Indiana, a few that came from our home town from the Legion Auxillary or Home Burear Extension office of either my mother or Ted's.  I found a set of place mats to use on a picnic table a nephew sent me from somewhere in the world a long time ago.  

I also found two cookbooks I had when I was in 4-H about 60 years ago.   I looked through these books yesterday and if I had ever read them at the time I might of learned to like to cook.






This book was my favorite.   It tells the correct way to measure things and I remembered giving demonstrations on how to measure flower.   Oh, gosh, I must of forgotten that over the years.    It tells how to make sour milk and what soda does in a recipe.   HMMMM    Too bad I never read this book.   I didn't know there were two kinds of baking powder.   Golly    If I had read this book I might of been able to make "light as a feather" biscuits.  

Well, anyway, you get the idea.   It was fun to read these and one was on OUTDOOR MEALS.   I really wish I'd read that one because I could of built an outdoor fire pit when Ted and I started camping and I'm sure he would of been impressed that I knew such a thing.   Maybe not, maybe he wanted to do that and it was better that I didn't know all that stuff.

I now have a clean, organized recipe drawer that is so easy to close.   I heard one time that if your underware drawer was all clean and organized when you die people realize you were very bored and lonely.   HA HA HA


3 comments:

  1. I see I spelled flour wrong. You can tell from the spelling my heart is not in cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it would be fun to make quick breads with flowers! We could pick them on our morning walks around...Illinois...

    ReplyDelete