Saturday, April 23, 2011

LIVING IN BRENTWOOD

It's Easter time.   A time of peace and renewal.  We should be practicing LOVE ONE ANOTHER and LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR.   BUT...that's not always the case.

Almost twenty seven years ago we moved to Tennessee and landed in Brentwood.   It's a classy place and we were a shock to some of our neighbors, I'm sure.   We moved in most of our STUFF in our black pick-up truck with home made side rails Ted had made.   We often laughed at them thinking the Clampets had arrived.   They weren't far off.

I loved living there.   It was fun to be in Nashville and go to the Post Office and see Eddie Arnold, go to church with Sara Cannon, AKA Minnie Pearl.   She was such a nice person.   She really was. 

Now not long ago Connie told of buying a newspaper from a homeless person and I've now been buying them too.   The other day as Benjamin and I were on our way to the airport we saw a man selling this paper.  I gave Benjamin a dollar and asked him to roll down his window so the man could see we wanted a paper.   Benjamin said, "We already bought this month's"   I said I had too but it didn't matter, did it?   He agreed.  
The man came over and we bought another paper.

Last night on the news they told us that the city of Brentwood is not going to let them sell their papers in that city.   You see they have an ordinance that no one can sell anything on the street there.   Now isn't that nice?   We wouldn't want to help anyone try and better themselves.   No siree, not is this high class town.  I've stood on the streets of Brentwood myself and sold poppies in May for the Veterans and they didn't say a word.   I cannot believe they are actually going to try and stop this.  

Brentwood has one of the largest United Methodist Churches in the state and if those people REALLY believed what they preach they'd all be out there buying a paper from the homeless. 

It makes me ashamed I ever lived there.

3 comments:

  1. In a way I am just SHOCKED at this and in another way, it DOESN'T surprise me. But I am VERY ANGRY to hear this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ME too, Connie. I'm about ready to write a letter to the editor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A letter to the editor would be good! Be sure to mention the poppies!

    ReplyDelete