Thursday, April 7, 2011

GOOD MOVIE

We got a movie from Netflex the other day and it had been laying here all week.   Tonight I figured I'd better get it out  and watch it so we could send it back.

I'd even forgotten what I ordered.   It turned out to be "Pete Seeger - The Power of Music".   While watching it I realized I had sung all these old songs when I was in high school.   I LOVED them and still do.  I never kept up with the news but had heard rhumors about actors being Communists, but never pulled Pete Seeger into that group.   Of course I was young and thought whatever our government said was the gospel.  AND...in those days some of it was but what a terrible thing they did to these people.

And I never realized he first sang the song "We Shall Overcome".    The movie has a lot of other people in it and his son, daughter, and a grandson or two.   It's a great movie.  I wish there were more people like him.  We need to see people for what they are, not what we THINK they are.   He loved ALL people and I do believe we could change the world with his philosophy.   Together we can make a difference and we can come together through music.  

I used to sing but my voice is worn out from too many cigarettes and too many ball games and band concerts but when I'm in the car alone I can still sing along with people like Pete Seeger, Peter, Paul, and Mary, Arlo Guthrie, Willie Nelson, and many others.

Guess I'll be looking for some Pete Seeger music now.

2 comments:

  1. We are going to have a service at NCC about Pete Seeger in May, he turns 93!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's neat. Hope I can be there.

    ReplyDelete